Savory Cherry Crostatas
Servings: 24 appetizers
- 4-5 Tbsp. ice water, plus more as needed
- ¾ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 9 Tbsp. (4 ½ oz.) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt and pulse to blend. Add the butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal; there should be no pieces of butter bigger than a large pea.
- With the motor running on dough setting, slowly add the water-vinegar mixture, processing just until the dough forms a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a wooden board or clean countertop, and gather it, massaging and pressing, until it just holds together. Shape it into a ball, and press it into a disk about 1 ½ inches thick. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and then press it a bit more. Refrigerate the wrapped dough for at least 2 hours
Note: Dough can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw it in refrigerator overnight before using.
- Before rolling it out, allow the dough to soften slightly at room temperature.
Filling - Cherry Balsamic Reduction
- 1 cup dried, pitted sour cherries
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- Place all 3 ingredients in a small saucepan over med-high heat
- Bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer until liquid is reduced to a few tablespoons
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- 1 T fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 T fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 6 oz quark (German-style cream cheese) or fresh goat cheese
- In a large sauté pan, coat bottom with olive oil and heat over med-high heat.
- Add onions, and coat in oil
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally
- Remove cover, and increase heat to med-high
- Cook until liquid has evaporated and onions are browning
- Season with salt, pepper and the fresh herbs
To Assemble Crostatas:
- Roll out pie dough and cut into 4” circles or desired size with cookie cutter.
- Place 2 teaspoons of cheese in middle of circle
- Add small amount of onion and cherry balsamic reduction directly on top of cheese and press lightly
- Fold edges of dough circle up and just over the edge of the filling, overlapping as needed
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Bake at 400°F for about 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown