Monday, November 23, 2009

Recipe: Roasted Brussel Sprouts + Cranberry Chutney


Ahhh. Thanksgiving. Foodie paradise. A favored Holiday for those of us that love to cook + eat, I thought I would share a couple of my favorite sides for your Thanksgiving Table!

Brussels Sprouts are one of the unsung veggies, although they have been gaining in popularity in recent years. I think there is no better way to enjoy them than simply roasted with salt, pepper and olive oil. So damn good. Don't worry about the leaves that fall of and get a crunchy brown...they're my favorite part! I eat 'em like potato chips.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts

serves 4-6

2# fresh Brussels sprouts, rinsed + patted dry

olive oil

salt

pepper


-preheat oven to 400˚F
-trim stem end of sprouts, then cut in half -place on large baking sheet (cover with foil for easy clean-up!)
-toss with generous amount of olive oil, salt + pepper

-roast until tender and gently browned, turning once, about 15-20 minutes


This chutney is addictive. You have been warned. Shared with me by a beloved sister-in-law it is also fantastic with such non-Thanksgiving-y fare as goat cheese, scones, pork, or straight off the spoon...which is how I usually eat it.

Cranberry Ginger Chutney

(Makes 1 2/3 cups, double for large family gatherings)

1 ½ cup cranberries

16 dried apricots, quartered
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup dried currants
2 Tbl. minced peeled ginger

2 Tbl. cranberry juice
¾ tsp. cinnamon

¼ tsp. cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Increase heat to high and boil for three minutes.
Transfer to bowl to cool.


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I clicked over from Heavy Table thinking you had combined Brussels and cranberries so I was wondering what kind of crazy dish you made!

    Relieved that it's just sane food that I cannot wait to make.

    ReplyDelete