I've been getting a lot of questions about how to get kids involved in the kitchen. What's safe? What's fun? What do you do?
Here are some great tools to make meal prep a fun, safe + family friendly affair!
Cutting = scary! However, there are 2 tools that can make it a bit safer for the little ones.
1) Pumpkin Carving Knife: yes, that one from the kit! It has a safety blade that isn't as sharp as a regular knife, and is just right for little hands. Great for slicing vegetables + fruits.
2) Zyliss Pizza Wheel: I've written about this before, and it's still a great choice. The handheld wheel gives kids more control over their motion, and keeps their little fingers out of the way. Great for cutting pizza (of course), slicing lunchmeat, chopping herbs, cutting hard veggies (carrots)
Of course, always make sure an adult is supervising any cutting by a child.
A few ways kids can get involved in meal prep:
- measuring (AJ loves to measure anything)
- shaking (place dry ingredient in a plastic bag, seal and have them shake)
- pushing buttons (on your food processor, mixer, etc.)
- washing (give them a sink full of soapy water and let 'em go...just no breakable items)