Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cardamom


n. [kahr-duh-muhm]
the seed pods of a tropical plant in the ginger family; native to SE Asia; used as a spice and in medicine

I am really into cardamom right now. I'm not sure if it is due to the heavy Scandinavian influence here in Minnesota, but I've come to appreciate it's versatility. It has a pleasant, slightly sweet flavor that is at home in everything from curry to tea. The Swedes even use it to flavor baked goods. If you are a cardamom newbie, I would suggest buying the ground version to experiment. Once you get more confident with it's flavor, then move on to the seeds to toast and grind yourself. I have a recipe for a chai that uses cardamom in the recipe section, and I highly recommend Sadaf's Cardamom Flavored Black Tea. Both great ways to introduce cardamom to your tastebuds!

No comments:

Post a Comment